Tuesday, September 15, 2009

what I learned from swine flu

Last week I got the flu. The flu is the pits. Watch out for it.

Here's what happened. I was feeling fine, going about my life traveling on the subway as I do to get to and from work and this man behind me was sniffling and hacking and I thought, "great, I'm about to get swine flu." Now, I don't know if I caught the flu at that moment as his sickness did not match my symptoms but like everyone, especially those in NYC who come in to contact so closely with so many people daily, it was and is constantly on my mind.

So, mid week, let's say Wednesday night, I came home feeling really tired and cranky faced with dinner to make. I blamed the it on waiting too long to eat between lunch and dinner, but just wasn't feeling right. Later I got the chills up my back and started with an ear ache and sore throat. Bed time.

The next morning when I woke up for work, I just didn't feel good. I was laying there remembering the times in grade school when I would fake sick because I just wanted to stay home from school and then when my mom would take me to the doctor it would turn out that I had Strep Throat (this happened more than once). I decided that I needed to listen to what my body was telling me. I didn't feel good. I needed to stay home. I didn't want to get out of bed, I wanted to be sleeping. So I did.

And, sleep I did. I slept until noon, when I got up and had some vegetable broth, and kale with garlic and shiitake mushrooms. Nap. Broth. Nap. I continued to listen to what my body was craving. Garlic. Coconut water. Raw honey. Orange juice. Water. Sleep. The next day was more of the same. Sleep, OJ, sleep. I gave my body what it wanted, and sure, I was achey, headachey, sore throat, ear ache, sweating, cold, stomach ache, miserable, and extremely extremely tired and weak, but IT ONLY LASTED 2 DAYS! Now, I can't say for sure it was swine flu, as the symptoms are exactly the same as regular flu and I didn't have to go to the doctor as I was able to kick it and didn't fight it. But, what I do know, is... it only lasted 2 days! 2 miserable days, but only 2 of them. And, listening to my body, I am amazed with what it was asking for, it's sooo cool:

garlic: it's a natural antibiotic
coconut (oil for cooking, and water for drinking): antibacterial and antiviral
raw honey: antibacterial and antiviral
oj: vitamin c- immune support
kale: vitamin c- immune support (among other great nutrients found in this leafy green)
shiitake mushrooms: strengthen your immune system and your ability to fight infection

And, I was given a lovely bunch of flowers to brighten my day. Which, I have to say, does make you feel better. So, remember, if you are hit with the flu this season, swine or otherwise, please take care of yourself and give your body what it needs. Rest is the best remedy. Hope you are well. big kiss xxtbone

No comments:

Post a Comment