Thursday, June 18, 2009

for the ladies


I know all of you have received an email at least once about how tampons are full of toxins and going to kill you or some similar mumbo-jumbo; you got scared for a minute and then forgot about it. I've been doing a little research of my own on this topic and have found that this website does a pretty good job at dispelling or explaining the various myths on the topic: http://www.center4research.org/wmnshlth/2005/tamponsafety.html if you want to check it out. Personally, I can't say for sure whether or not there is asbestos or rayon or dioxins or chemicals in the tampons that you're using or if you're going to get Toxic Shock Syndrome from them (which I was certain I was going to get every month as a teen and well into my 20s)... but here's what I do know:

I know that I would notice certain things about my body after I had one in for a while, such as muscle and joint aches, back pain, difficulty sleeping through the night because I would just begin to feel uncomfortable after a few hours and sometimes a piercing headache would tell me it was time for a change. Sorry, I'm not trying to gross you out here... I just want to share with you what I have noticed over the years and thought it was just how it was going to be. For me, all of these symptoms would come and go based on changing my tampon so I knew it wasn't just a period thing and knew it had to have something to do with tampons in general. I have tried different brands just like anyone based on where I was, or what was on sale, different absorbency, applicator or non, etc. nothing seemed to really change to any degree that I noticed. Until I tried ORGANIC! I know, it seems crazy and you probably think it's just because I've been on this greenie hippie health kick lately and just can't stop talking about "organic" this and "holistic" that, but seriously, this could change your life so pay attention.

These organic tampons are made from organic cotton, and cotton only. No rayon, no pesticides in the growing of the cotton, no chlorine bleaching, no added chemicals, just plain old cotton. On first trial, my whole world changed. I didn't know that I didn't have to feel achey all over or that my tampons could actually be adding to the cramping. And, I could comfortably sleep through the night! Turns out, I don't actually feel as bad as I thought I did during my period. I just needed to eliminate the addition of these unnecessary and unnatural elements from this very sensitive area. I mean, it makes sense to me... cotton happens in nature, my body knows how to adapt to and handle things that happen in nature and not freak out. And, given the option I would rather not stick potentially cancer causing agents in my hoo-hah... but maybe that's just me. Give it a try, see if it works for you... you can get 100% organic "feminine products" at most natural food stores, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, order online, etc. This brand, Natracare has a cute website about their products if you want to check it out: http://www.natracare.com/index2.htm (The "monthly matrix" is an adorable explanation of what is happening to your body each day of the month) Hope you're well, big kiss, xxtbone

No comments:

Post a Comment